Investment Accountants Sunshine Coast & Brisbane
What is an Investment Accountant?
This is an accountant who has experience of preparing accounts and tax returns for investment portfolios, including direct residential or commercial property investments. These investment portfolios are typically held in a variety of entities including:
- Unit Trusts
- Discretionary or Family Trusts
- Testamentary Trusts
- Hybrid Trusts
- Partnerships - common law and registered
- Individually held.
Accounting for investments is different from accounting for small businesses or preparing BAS or tax returns for individuals or small businesses (services that you can obtain from a small business-focussed tax agent or accountant).
Most public accountants and tax agents do not deal with very many asset rich individuals or with the variety of asset types that are often held by such clients.
Consequently some sole tax practitioners struggle to account correctly for options and warrants, antiques, art, collectable cars, or international shares.
Most fundamentally the way assets are treated is different in accounting for investments. Assets in investment accounting go up in value, in business they are depreciated.
What does your service include?
In addition to getting the accounting and tax accountant services right, our Sunshine Coast & Brisbane accountants also offer advice on the best way to hold your assets - from a range of perspectives - and relating to the relevant issues which are important in your specific circumstances, including the tax and asset protection perspective.
We do this in conjunction with our in-house solicitor and Australian Financial Services Licensed (AFSL) Investment Advisory service. This ensures that when it comes to your investments, you've got the right assets, in the right entity.
We are experienced advisers in this area, including:
- The tax impact of asset type, entity type, and the relevant personal context - now, ongoing, on divestment, and on death
- Whether your personal assets or other assets can be targeted by claimants.
- If balance sheet movements (movement of assets and liabilities in your trust, company or partnership) impact adversely on liabilities of individuals and related entities (are creditors or liquidators able to access your other or personal assets?)
Our principals are experienced Investment Accountants and as needed, can work closely with Ascendia AFSL licensed Investment Advisers and with Ascendia Lawyers to make sure that in timely fashion:
- You are aware of relevant estates and asset protection matters that you may wish to consider
- You are fully informed of the investment risks and exposures you are taking in your investment approach
- You can access relevant and qualified research on most available investment grade assets in Australia from some of the largest investment research houses.